This request comes from Ethan Cooper in New York City. He writes:
Dear Casey (er, Grumpy Bulldog)
One of my brothers (my twin, actually) has written and self-published a novel, ESCAPE FROM ENSENDA. With the help of his vanity publisher (not free, I'm sure), he has produced the following video (see link) to promote his book.
As a steady reader of your blog, I notice that you often discuss tactics for attracting the attention and support of agents. But have you ever discussed the use of videos to go around agents to reach readers?
Signed,
Ethan Cooper
New York City
Well Ethan, here's your request and dedication.
I thought the video was good. The production values on it are better than a lot of local commercials for car dealers and such I see, so it's not all that cheesy. For obvious reasons (like not owning a video camera or web cam) I don't do much with videos, but I remember someone posting about them a few months ago. (I can't remember who it was, probably someone I linked to from Twitter or Facebook.) It might have been Writer Beware or one of those writer sites like that with a poll about how much people use book trailers. The consensus as I remember is that a well-made book trailer can be effective.
The problem is that in the last few years since YouTube and such, the publishing blogs have been saying you NEED a book trailer. So a lot of lemmings went out then to make a book trailer. As you'd expect, most of them had little to no money or experience with that sort of thing. Which meant most book trailers were terrible. In turn readers stopped watching so many book trailers because they figured it would be terrible. Between the saturation and the terribleness of many trailers then your brother might have a hard time getting people to notice his even if it is really good. It's really as hard as it can be to get people to notice the book itself.
Of course what I think he needs most of all is a Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. Or other eBook formats.
And now on with the countdown!
That book trailer is excellent. With that many actors, it was probably frickin' expensive. Like $1,000 expensive not to mention yacht rental and whatnot. Holy cow. Maybe more expensive than that.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to know how they managed to cast Oliver Reed to helm the yaught for the trailer... :D
ReplyDelete*yacht. I knew that's how you spelt it. I was just testing you all...lol
ReplyDeleteThat was intense for a home-made book trailer. Someone knows how to use a camera.
ReplyDeleteThat trailer was bizarre. Awesomely bizarre. I agree that the production looked pretty good. Still, I'd shy away from book trailers unless you're going for funny, which this one was.
ReplyDeleteEven the best of them, and the best one I've seen is that one promo-ing Brent Weeks newest book, are still just a bit... well... off.