Monday, November 14, 2011

When Sports Love Goes Bad

Unless you were under a rock for almost a week now, you'd know that Penn State ran into a major scandal when a former defensive coordinator on the football team was accused of molesting children.  This led to the dismissal of the university president, athletic coordinator, and the twist getting all the press legendary coach Joe Paterno.

Immediately after Paterno's firing, Penn State students took to the streets, rioting and overturning a van among other things.

Unlike other people who read this blog, I know why people love their sports teams.  When you watch a team on TV or in person or listen to them on the radio for year after year, it becomes like a part of your family.  It's also a way for fathers and sons, (and mothers and daughters and so on) to connect through a common interest.  It may seem silly but one of the last times my dad and I really talked without our usual awkwardness was in 2007 when Tigers ace pitcher Justin Verlander threw his first no hitter.  We were both really excited because no Tigers pitcher had done that since 1983, so we witnessed something rare and special.  Conversely when Verlander threw another no hitter this year my dad was no longer living and I didn't even watch the game because I forgot it was on at 4:30 for whatever reason that day.

And those are just the good reasons, not the ones involving gambling and drinking.  The point is, I know why people love their teams.  The thing is, when something like the Paterno case comes along, some people choose to put on their blinders.  People say, "Well he told the athletic director, what else should he have done?"  Um, made sure the athletic director did something besides say, "Don't bring kids to Penn State to molest?"  Instead Paterno did like all those bishops, cardinals, and the Pope by looking the other way as this was going on.  In his defense, Paterno was about 75 back in 2002, so maybe he wasn't all that aware of anything by that point.

The people rioting over Paterno getting fired are obviously morons.  There has to be a line drawn in the sand when you say your love for team is not as great as your love for morality and basic human decency.  But it's not hard when it's someone like Paterno who's been around for 46 years as the coach, so that generations of families have seen him ambling along the sidelines in his glasses.  When someone's been a part of your collected memories for that long, it's hard to turn against them no matter how terrible their crime.

Of course a part of it is how hard it is to see that our idols have feet of clay.  When given the chance to be a stand-up guy and do the right thing, Paterno shrank, passing the buck to someone else, who in turn did nothing.  It's really something a lot of us would do in the same position.  Case in point, last week I was at Arby's and this old guy (probably about the same age as Paterno) spills his soda on the floor under his table.  Instead of telling anyone about the mess, he just wipes the top of the table, pushes in his chair, and leaves.  And did I say anything?  No.  So we both shirked our obligation to do the right thing.  The Penn State case is like that magnified to a much, much bigger scale.

As much as I want to condemn the fans, I do have to think about what I'd do in the same situation.  If word broke that a coach on my beloved Tigers was showering with little kids and no one in the organization really did anything except say, "Don't do that here" would I still root for my team?  Could I really put aside all those memories, all that bonding?  It's hard to say.  I think after everyone responsible had been fired I would eventually go back to rooting for my team because the team is more than a few bad individuals.  Another case in point, my slightly less beloved Red Wings signed Todd Bertuzzi, who about 7 years ago crippled another player on the ice.  It was a loathsome act committed when he was on Vancouver.  Does that mean I don't root for the Red Wings?  No.  I just don't root for Bertuzzi.  Just because he's there doesn't make all the other players (many who were around long before he was signed) instantly evil.  But maybe like a lot of people my morality is a bit too flexible.

And for those who bellyache about Paterno getting canned, he could have "gone out on his own terms" last year or the year before or any other year before now.  But he selfishly wanted to collect a few more wins despite that he hasn't actually "coached" the team in years.  In the last few years some games he wasn't even on the field!  He was up in the press box with a broken hip or something.  Yet his selfish desire to keep accumulating wins kept him going and now, again, he reaps what he sows.  If he had really loved his school and all that he would have stepped aside years ago to let someone young and capable take over.  But sometimes we just can't let things go.

8 comments:

  1. Jo Pa probably has that 50's mentality about discipline. You know, close ranks, keep it in house, chain of command, all that stuff. I try to separate all the on the field stuff from on the field items. Collegient and professional athletics is a strange beast, and all involved tend to get treated differently than regular people.

    It's sickening to think that nobody had the balls to do the right thing. I agree with you that in real life, that 'mind your own business' mentality can be strong. But spilling a soda and raping little children aren't equitable crimes. I'd let the soda thing pass too - the other though, I'd like to think we'd all do something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's entirely equitable either, but shouldn't we strive to do the right thing all the time? It's a lot easier to do nothing, or just the bare minimum, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you confuse "love of your team" and "rooting for your team" (largely the same thing) with "getting too emotional about your team."

    I understand about your dad and the connection with him. One of my favorite memories is when my Dad took us kids to see the Packers play the Cardinals in the strike-playoff game in the 80s. That was a lot of fun.

    I'm not against people rooting for teams. I'm against them having a sense of perspective. As I said, people who get overwrought over the outcome of entertainment need to have a sense of perspective:

    http://www.nonsportsmanlikeconduct.com/2011/10/no-i-am-your-father-quotent-quotables.html

    The Penn State idiot students' riots in favor of NOT reporting child molestation take overwrought involvement in entertainment to a distasteful, if not abhorrent, extreme. The same impulse that leads a sportscaster to compare losing out on a playoff bid to the fall of Saigon was at work in students upturning cars because "JoePa" was fired for not doing more.

    Do people have to root for or against their teams because of morality? Yes. I used to like the Patriots*, and thought that Brady would be a new Montana. When I found out they cheated -- even though they said it had no impact on the game -- I lost all respect for them and won't root for that team as long as the cheaters are associated with them. When the Eagles signed the Dog Killer, they lost any chance that I'd root for them until they dissociate themselves from this shameful era.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... it only let me post half at a time:


    Others are free to judge using their own morality, but I can tell you: Had the Bills signed Vick, my reaction would have been the same. I've been lukewarm, at best, to the Packers because I felt they mistreated Favre. (Not that they had to take him back; but they didn't have to hire Ari Fleischer to turn opinion against him.)

    If you root for a team that supports immoral people, you are rooting for the immoral people. The Penn State students took advantage of the "JoePa" era to build up a national program. Turns out that part of building up a national program and being the winningest coach ever means that you are willing to tolerate a child rapist in your midst. Turns out then that Penn State students value having JoePa on the sidelines more than they value PEOPLE NOT RAPING CHILDREN.

    Ask yourself this, Rogue: Suppose it turns out that Verlander was raping kids, and Tigers' management knew it but covered it up because he was so good? Would you support that? Would that memory mean that much to you?

    You can't separate a person from their actions, and you can't separate a team from the actions of the people it tolerates. That was my problem (is my problem) with Favre: Not that he sexted people (which is just lame) but that he did so while he was married, which I consider to be wrong. It's okay to be 40 years and old and want to nail a hot cheerleader, but guys with decent morals divorce their wives before they try that.

    And separating the person from their actions leads to travesties like Penn State, people elevating winning or money or games over everything.

    As for the guy-spilling-soda, you probably should've told the people about the mess, but that's not the same thing at all. Would you have been trying to get the person in trouble? Or simply alerting them that there was a mess to clean up so nobody got hurt/dirty? If the former, I'm not sure you had to do anything, because the guy wouldn't have been in trouble anyway.

    A more apt comparison would be if you saw the old guy spill his soda and then use it as a diversion to steal something. You absolutely have a duty to do something about that, and if you don't, you're complicit in the wrong.

    So JoePa is complicit because he knew about the problem and could have taken a stand against Penn State allowing child molestation to go on ON ITS CAMPUS. Had the legendary and apparently completely bereft of morals JoePa simply dug in his heels and said "He goes or I go," Sandusky would've been kicked off campus and probably arrested.

    But JoePa chose not to rock the boat, and while he didn't actively rape those kids, he made it possible for them to be raped, for whatever his reasons. And what could those reasons be? That he was worried about money? His continued employment? Someone whose job is on the line and doesn't have the freedom to do the right thing might have that as an excuse; but not the winningest football coach ever. He had no such worries.

    In short: The mentality that led people to ignore child rape for years in order to keep a winning program on the field, and the mentality that then caused people to protest the firing of someone who could have stopped it, but did not, are indicative of the worst possible aspects of sports and our culture. It's shocking to me that not one single person has protested against Penn State tolerating this -- and that the game was packed with people who chose to simulate respect and sorrow for abused children by wearing blue and getting drunk. We now live in a world where getting to the first Big 10 championship game ever is more important than not raping children, and it bothers me, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like I said, if something similar were happening with "my" team I would root for them again after the person responsible (and those who covered it up) were gone.

    I'm actually a lot softer about Vick, Plaxico Burress, etc. who get convicted of a crime. They did their time in prison (whether we think that's long enough or not is another issue) and until they kill dogs or carry guns into nightclubs again, they have the right to be able to turn their lives around. I'm less lenient on the Bertuzzi thing. He served a suspension and there might have been a civil settlement, but he didn't do jail time. I can see where some people can say he paid for it, but I don't really think so.

    Now if he scored an overtime goal in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, would I be happy? I think I'd be happy for the other players, but not him so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I report people when they do something bad. A lady at the supermarket was trying to steal some organic bananas by disguising the fact that they were "organic" and instead took them out of the bag so that the checker would mark them regular price. I reported her right then and there. She was very upset. I don't give a shit. I call people on their bullshit and tell them to fuck off if they gut up in my face about it. I'm not afraid of confrontation.

    I agree with what you've said here on this scandal. It is awful. I personally might have taken justice in my own hands and would be in a prison somewhere awaiting death row because I murdered the bastard. Meh.

    I get upset at some ignorant people who suggest that Sandusky was gay. I quickly clarify them and say, "No, he was a pedophile. He ran a pedophile ring. That is not 'gay'."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a lot of us though get programmed with that idea that tattling (or snitching as they say on the streets) is bad and will make you unpopular. In the case of Penn State (and the Catholic Church) they figured if word got out they'd look bad, though they look worse now by trying to cover it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand what you're saying. Imagine if it was Bo Schembechler or Jim Leyland or Sparky Anderson. Detroit would be in chaos.

    But there are certain things in life that once you know about it you can't just walk away and not care.

    ReplyDelete