Make it so!
I don't know where the trope of kids being smarter than adults originated from. Peanuts? Little Rascals? Scooby-Doo? But it's a pretty common thing now when you have a movie about kids/teens that they're the ones who know what's going on and fix things, not the adults who are supposed to be in charge.
In "Super 8" there's a group of five middle schoolers making a movie when their science teacher crashes his truck into a train, derailing it. While the grown ups are either running around panicking or trying to hush things up, it's those meddling kids who find out what's really going on and fix the problem.
Which at a time when Congress seems like it's a bunch of first graders anymore just sitting around calling each other names and getting nothing done, made me think that really we should just find some plucky kids to run things. It works in the movies, right?
Though are kids really smarter than adults? It depends to some extent on the kid and the adult. There are probably little geniuses who are way smarter than me. There are also some kids who are dumb as a box of rocks--and some adults too. But in general I think when you have these kind of stories the idea is that the kids might not be smarter, but they're more open to new ideas. Their minds are more imaginative and creative because they (most of them) haven't been exposed to all the shit of the real world that generally flogs all the joy and wonder out of an adult's brain.
It's like when my brother and I were kids we'd come up with all sorts of stories with our action figures. Now if I pick up an action figure I don't really know what to do with it except put it on my desk and look at it. This was about the best I could do:
| My Batman toys. They're doing...something. |
On top of that, kids haven't also been indoctrinated yet with all of our hatreds and prejudices. Which again might be a good reason to reverse the Constitution and make it so no one OVER 25 can hold elected office. So it's easier in some ways for them to work together to find a solution to the problem than for the adults.
Anyway, when you're writing a story for kids/young adults I suppose this trope is a good idea because you're aiming the story at kids/young adults and they don't want to read that the grown ups are smarter than them. They want to be the heroes! That's something to keep in mind then.
Holy smokes!!! They killed Batman!!!
ReplyDeleteThey tried that 'let the kids run things' experiment in Logan's Run. It didn't go so well with us old people. Kids are only good at solving problems in an emergency - no good for long term governance. It probably has something to do with their 10 minute attention spans.
ReplyDeleteIt's an interesting thought: what if kids ran the world? We'd be dealing with wedgies instead of nuclear proliferation.
ReplyDeleteAre they going to rape Batman? *starts bawling*.
ReplyDeleteRE: Your post about author's websites. I NEVER go to them. I used to go to Joe Hill's until I realized it was just flogging books mostly and while I am 100% (all the percents there are) in favor of advertising that doesn't mean I will go willingly look at it when it's not even good or creative. "Hey, here's my book again" isn't very much fun.
All I did was put a "Books" tab on my blogs and hope for the best, and so far, that has TOTALLY paid off because last month I sold three...
... yep, I said "three," which in numeric, long form is:
3
...copies of my books. I am clearly a marketing genius who should be advising presidents.
Except that, to get to THIS post, I'm not an 11 year old kid open to the wonder and beauty of ET or something like that. That's kind of a Spielbergian/80s thing, I think: Back in the day, "Father Knows Best" and "Leave It To Beaver" and "My Three Sons" didn't have kids being smart: they came to the grown-ups to get them out of that cup of soup advertisement or sort out which of the triplets was which (My favorite episode of "My Three Sons" ever.)
But now, grown-ups don't know what they're doing and kids are the ones who can solve it because kids aren't all wrapped up in blaming that guy for their wife's death or something.
It's instructive, I think, that the Boomers are behind this move to say kids, not adults, are the source of all wisdom. Instructive, but stupid, now that the boomers are all retirees and have left a legacy of "not changing as much as they claimed" and "people thinking kids are smarter than adults."
There might be something to this unlimited kid imagination theory. My son thought of a way to harness lightening to generate power. He drew an apparatus that my somewhat genius brother-in-law at the time said, "Hey, you should keep this drawing. This could actually work." Now what would I do with that piece of paper? And why hasn't an adult thought of this? I'm sure it wouldn't work...right? lol *digging out son's old paper in case it can make me wealthy someday*
ReplyDeleteYou're on the money!
ReplyDeleteKids want to be the heroes. Makes sense to write young characters who save the day.
Thanks to my boy, my LEGO collection doesn't have to stay in the black abyss of storageland. :)
Bane broke Batman's back again!
ReplyDeleteI think people underestimate kids.
I think that it has more to do with the amount of pedophilia that goes on in Hollywood circles and in positions of power in the entertainment industry.
ReplyDeleteThose individuals like to screw younger folks and so they create roles and scripts for them to entice them to the casting couch. That's just my take on it, but I think it is a big "unsaid" reason as to why you have such sexy people in television, movies, etc.
No one that is "old" ever finds fame. They get it when they're young. And if you think that those people get there because of talent...that's completely wrong. Celebrity is "manufactured". Look at Rebecca Black. Her fame is totally manufactured. Lady Gaga...same thing. Justin Bieber, same thing.
I think the kid thing did, actually, start in the 80s, and I think it was mostly Spielberg that brought it about. When I think of the shows and movies I liked when I was a kid, none of them had kid heroes. The closest you got was Scooby-Doo, and, sorry, they weren't really kids. Just young adults. They did drive, after all.
ReplyDeleteAt any rate, I think movies like E.T., Goonies, and Back to the Future really enforced the trend. It changed the mind set from "I want to be the hero when I grow up" to "I can be the hero, now."
However, the people making these movies grow up in the 60s and 70s, and all of these was really just more anti-establichment rhetoric. How better to challenge the system than to say "even a kid knows better than you."
Not that anything was accomplished by it. What we have now, partially due to this mindset, is kids growing up who think they're entitled to fame and celebrity. "I shouldn't have to work for it, because I just deserve it."
Jeez you guys are such downers.
ReplyDeleteWe call that being mellow, dude...
ReplyDelete