Overall I haven't found the Kindle very difficult to use. You just tap the right 3/4 of the screen to move forward or the left quarter to move backwards. Though the backwards doesn't seem to always work extremely well. It works better if you run your finger right to left across the screen. You really have to use that to get the front menu to flip pages once you get enough stuff to take more than one screen.
I know Ann Crispin made a stink about the "special offers" but I barely notice them. The screen saver only comes on when I turn it off or if I let it sit around for a while. Even then I don't really care. The one at the bottom of the menu screen I notice even less. Now when they start putting the ads in the books (which seems inevitable) then it might be better to pay $40 extra to do that.
It didn't feel that different to be reading with the Kindle than a normal book. But then I was never one of those "I love how books feel and smell" people. The eReader is cool, it makes me think I'm in the future, like on the Enterprise and stuff. Although it might weight a little more than some paperbacks. Though probably less than a hardcover.
So overall no real problems. I haven't dropped it yet though. What stinks is I didn't get a carrying case so I'm keeping it in the box it came in for now. Maybe one of Santa's elves will bring me one. Or give me a gift card I can use to buy one!
Oh yeah, and speaking of special offers, you should really follow the Grumpy Bulldog Book Review site for the latest Grumpy Bulldog book reviews. I'm just saying. Also the Grumpy Bulldog Movie Review site. You know, if you never saw those links in the right window under "Grumpy Bulldog's World."

I'm of two minds about ebooks. I read them, mostly for convenience. If I'm sitting on my couch in the middle of the morning, I want to hold a real book. If I'm lugging around the lates Game of Thrones installment to read during my lunch hour then I'd rather have the ebook.
ReplyDeleteBesides, technology will fail us one day. When it does I want to still read, so I haven't taken down the bookshelves yet.
Love ebooks. But I still buy regular printed ones too. I have the Kindle Keyboard, and I do like having the buttons instead of the touch pad thingies. Just used to it.
ReplyDeleteAmazingly, I do read on my iPhone with the Kindle app. I usually do that when I'm in line somewhere.
Yes when technology fails those paper books will make good kindling to make fires to ward off the radioactive zombies...
ReplyDeleteAre you picking arguments with other book bloggers on those sites? If so, I have to check it out. I love a good drama fest involving Grumpy bulldog.
ReplyDeleteNo, the only drama is if someone reads my review of their book and doesn't like it. But like Cloud City, my operation is too small for the Empire to notice, so I wouldn't expect Jeffrey Eugenides or Bret Easton Ellis to show up and bitch about me giving their books 1 star.
ReplyDeleteSanta gave me an i-Pad for Christmas last year and I've read a few books on it since then. E-books and regular books each have their appeal, but I'll never lug hardbacks on vacation again.
ReplyDeleteSince getting my firs iPad, I've converted totally to eBooks. My shelf space thanks me now.
ReplyDeleteI thought the point of this new blog was to get all of your different blogs all together in one place? Maybe, I just misunderstood that.
ReplyDeleteHow did you get a post on your book reviews dated in January 2012? Are you writing from the future?
There's a quirk with Blogger that after the article is published you can give it a date in the future. I use that so my review of my book (because I'm that shameless) shows up at the top of the page. I do that on all my story blogs too with the introduction page. My favorite date to use is like 12/21/12 which is when the Mayans say the world is going to end.
ReplyDeleteHave you added a case of it on your list of demands yet? If not I can always order you a Vera Bradley one! :-p And the only reason you don't like the smell of books is because you can't smell! :-p Real books rule! I enjoy the hunt for books at the used stores too much. It's always fun when you find one you are looking for. Though I would like to get an e-reader for when I travel. It would be much easier to carry than an actual book.
ReplyDelete