Friday, March 30, 2012

The End of Grumpy Bulldog

So now, much too soon really, it's time to say farewell to another blog.  Of course as I've already announced, the new blog will begin on Sunday for the A to Z challenge.  So that's something, right?

For this last post, I thought I'd talk about endings.  Sometimes you find the end even though it isn't the end.  Like in American Lit class in high school and our teacher didn't make us read the real end of Huck Finn where Tom Sawyer shows up because that part sucks ass.  She didn't say that in so many words, but that was the gist of it.

Or take The Hunger Games because probably more people have read that than Huckleberry Finn anymore.  Unlike say Michael Offutt, I didn't hate the book.  I didn't love it either.  It was fine as a throwaway action-adventure type story, kind of like "Gladiator" meets "Winter's Bone."  This was my review.

And as I mention in the review, I was interested enough in the ending to stay up at 1am to finish it, something I rarely do anymore in my old age.  But when I was finished, that was it.  I put it in my "Read" group on the Kindle, turned the Kindle off, and went to bed.

I know there are two sequels, but I just don't care.  The end of the first book was enough.  (SPOILERS!!!)  Katniss and Peeta win the Hunger Games and go home.  Huzzah huzzah for them.  That was fine for me.  I don't really care about her turning into Luke Skywalker and defeating the Empire or whatever happens in the next two.

And you could make that case for the original Star Wars "Episode IV".  Luke blows up the Death Star, him and Han and Chewie get medals, Darth Vader is off in space somewhere, everything's hunky-dory.  Do you really need to go on?  No, not really.  But most of us did anyway.

Another example was this show I watched a couple years ago--on DVD of course as that or Netflix is about the only way I watch a series anymore.  I got to the end of the first season and the main character was pretty well off.  She got her dream guy, a good job as a book editor, fixed things with her family.  There was only one thing really left unresolved, but so what?  I had little interest in watching her life unravel (again) and then re-ravel and unravel again and so forth just to keep the series going.

Grumpy Bulldog is cleaning out his locker...
In other words, sometimes you just know when something is over.  Grumpy Bulldog's Blog is over.  So it goes.

Of course it wouldn't have been finished if I hadn't gotten a mega publishing deal--or very non-mega publishing deal.  That was as they say "a gamechanger."  Because really the whole game did change.  Few people want to buy books from a Grumpy Bulldog ranting about politics and religion and stuff like that.  Especially a grumpy bulldog who uses a non-grumpy bulldog mascot for his avatar.  People want to deal with real people and they don't want to be offended.  Or so I've been told.

So that changed the nature of the game.  As for why April, I figured the A to Z thing was a good way to ease people into the new blog, plus if it's on the list it should get a few more followers from people checking out the 999 other blogs in the thing.  One or two maybe.  And really what would Grumpy Bulldog have talked about for 26 days?  About all I could think of was a swear a day.  A is for Asshole, B is for Bitch, C is for Cunt, and so forth.  That would have been hard when you get to q or x or z.  So fuck it, may as well use the opportunity for a month of schilling.

I have the new schedule worked out for the other blog for after April.  It won't feature anything "controversial" though.  Because that's scary.  Ooh no, I might have to think!  Save me!  As Neil Vogler says it's time to be an affable bulldog.  Boo!

There you go, there's the whole story.  And now it ends...
Down the drain the blog goes!!!

7 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new persona. I agree the ending for Huck Finn was horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Selling out: it's what we all secretly want to do anyway. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take far too much pleasure in the Prometheus bashing and pointing out that I didn't like the Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll miss your commentaries along with the morning cup of grumpiness that only you can provide. Best of luck with the new blog.

    CC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grumpy Bulldog,
    I'm almost sad that this blog site of yours is ending. However, nice to know that you will be up and running on your new site. And you can have fun with the 'Bleeps' aka 'Blogger Sheep' on that contest that brings further awareness of the alphabet. Your last photo reminds me of the challenge....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I promised myself I wouldn't cry.

    *Sniff*. Must be dust in the air.

    See you at the new site, Mega Author Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just checking. Yep, already on my reader.

    ReplyDelete