![]() |
| Grumpy Bulldog feeling Irish |
Anyway, one morning I was still mostly asleep and for some reason I tried to think of great people named Patrick in history. My sleepy brain could only remember two: St. Patrick (duh) and Patrick Stewart, who of course played Captain Picard on Star Trek the Next Generation and Professor X in the original X-Men movies.
When I was less sleepy, I remembered Patrick Henry, the famous patriot who said, "Give me liberty or give me death!" But I don't know, who else are great Patricks in history? No presidents named Patrick. Not sure about vice-presidents because no one gives a shit about them unless they become president or are evil assholes secretly running the show. I couldn't think of any great explorers or inventors or kings or anything like that either.
There are some Patricks in literature: Pat(rick, I'm assuming) Conroy (The Great Santini, etc.), Patrick O'Brian (Master & Commander), Patrick Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind, etc.), and of course ME (Where You Belong, etc.). Not so sure about music. Besides Patrick Stewart you have Patrick Dempsey, that McLovin or whatever on Grey's Anatomy. Patrick Wilson is in a different doctor show--A Gifted Man (for however long that's on) and was also in one of my favorite movies, Watchmen.
There are more in sports. Patrick Ewing was the Hall of Fame center for the New York Knicks in basketball. Right now there are quite a few Patricks in the NHL:
- Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks)
- Patrick Sharp (Also Blackhawks)
- Patrick Marleau (San Jose Sharks)
- Patrick Eaves (Detroit Red Wings)
That's not a terrible showing I suppose. I wonder what name has the most famous historical people attached to it? There's something to ponder as you get drunk tomorrow. I'd wager it's something common like John: St. John, John the Baptist, John F. Kennedy, John Adams, John Quincy Adams, John Tyler, King John (Magna Carta), John Updike, my literary hero John Irving. That's a good group and I'm sure you could add a lot to it.
While you're getting loaded on green beer, here's some Irish music for you:
And it wouldn't be an Irish holiday without "Danny Boy" right? I'll use the Irish Tenors version because my mom likes the one guy who used to sing at Yankees games too, Ronan somethingorother I think.
And this isn't Irish but it sounds like it, right?

There is Patrick Doyle - one of my friends from my late teens/ early 20's. He had a killer jump shot and really liked Def Leppard.
ReplyDeleteThat's about all I got though.
I shall drink green beer and listen to U2. Happy St. Pat's Day.
ReplyDeleteBah, U2 is for posers.
DeleteI've got:
ReplyDeletePatrick Swayze
Patrick Warburton
and Patrick Moore (famous UK astrologer/ monocled eccentric)
You're welcome.
LOL! Happy St. Patty's Day.
ReplyDeleteEver listen to the Young Dubliners?
Yup, that comes up on my Irish Rock Pandora station from time to time. Also the (old) Dubliners.
DeleteSo we name people we know named "Patrick" who aren't famous. That's where this comment thread is going, right?
ReplyDeleteI can barely remember names these days. I'm too old. I prefer to think of people by designation. But I do like that Dropkick Murphys song. It's a great song to run to.
I feel like this is not one of my better comments. But that's what you get. Some days are better than others, as the (Irish!) band U2 sang.
My best friend and swimming buddy is named Patrick. He's a lawyer. Now that I think about it, he's a real pain in the ass. So much for St. Paddy's Day!
ReplyDeleteNeil Patrick Harris. How could you go wrong with Dr. Horrible?
ReplyDeleteTop of the morning to you from the nation just one over from Ireland. Of course, we take no prisoners and mention Patrick McGoohan who was more than just a number. And who could forget that debonair charmer, Patrick Macnee of Avenger's fame...
ReplyDeleteHave a peaceful St. Patrick's Day....
My husband bought two big bottles of Guinness today and I made some green rice krispie treats. Have a Happy St. Patrick's day, sir!
ReplyDeleteHappy St. Patrick's Day--
ReplyDeleteI mean, St. Grumpy Bulldog Day, of course.
Hope you had a great St Pat's day. I found it curious you picked Patrick Stewart first ;)
ReplyDelete