| Pier in Lexington, MI |
Anyway, like the Buddha or Isaac Newton I had one of those big cosmic thoughts while I was sitting there. Right then I came up with the secret to how everyone could live in peace and harmony. It's actually a very simple philosophy that can be summarized in one sentence:
You mind your business and I'll mind my business and we won't have a problem.
That's pretty much all there is to it. You can be whatever religion you want, whatever political affiliation, whatever sexual orientation you want and so long as you aren't trying to force me to be the same then I don't give a shit. Because really it's not my business whether you're Christian, Muslim, Hindu, other. And it's not your business that I'm an atheist. It's not my concern if you're a Republican and it's not your concern if I'm a Democrat. You can put a sign on your lawn and a bumper sticker on your car and I can do the same and so long as you don't kick my sign over or peel the sicker off my car then it's fine.
I did realize while I was contemplating this that I need at least one proviso, which is thus:
So long as your business isn't hurting others.
Because honestly, you can't have a functioning society if people are allowed to indiscriminately kill, rape, etc each other. Otherwise, I don't give a shit what you're doing in your house and you shouldn't give a shit what's going on in my house.
It all boils down to tolerance. That's something that seems in short supply these days when everyone is wanting to force their agenda down the rest of our throats. Perhaps the hardest part about tolerance is trying to tolerate the stupidity of other people. Except they probably think we're the stupid ones for disagreeing with them. That doesn't mean I get to force my values on them.
This simple philosophy might be too simple, though. It gets more complicated once you get into particular issues like abortion or capital punishment or narcotics or taxes or welfare programs. But Grumpy Bulldog has some thoughts on those too, inspired by Transformers and Star Trek--of course!
I didn't know you had a philosophical side. You're right, of course, but be careful or you'll lose your grumpy status.
ReplyDeleteBe... affable?
ReplyDeleteNeil, I think Grumpy could mind his own business grumpily, but this really is a remarkable change of heart.
ReplyDeleteWhile I eagerly await the Transformers-inspired abortion laws...???... I will say that what you're espousing is true conservatism: tolerance for viewpoints that differ from your own but which do not directly harm your life.
Also, not to slant your view point but on the death penalty: so-called "conservatives" tend to be heavily in favor of the death penalty, which I oppose on both moral and practical grounds. On practical grounds, I oppose it because I can't be certain we came to the right conclusion every time. Which means that "conservatives" in favor of the death penalty either (A) Believe that at least one facet of government -- courts in capital punishment cases -- is right 100% of the time (!) -- or (b) they believe some courts get it wrong but they're okay with killing innocent people.
So which is it, "conservatives?" Government works, or kill some innocents?
I said I'd tolerate people's dumb choices, not that I'd LIKE them, which means I can still be grumpy about it. It's like they said on South Park: tolerance means you accept something, not that it can't still piss you off.
DeleteFor instance my opinion on the death penalty is not only should we have it but they should make it quicker. Stop dragging out all these appeals forever and ever and just kill the fucker. Do it in some horrific way on live TV too so it might scare people straight. But then if I ruled the world I'd be a megalomaniac dictator like Megatron or Cobra Commander.
I would like it a lot if people of religion wouldn't try to change laws to suit their chosen lifestyle. I could totally embrace your philosophy. But the thing is, no one is doing that. So I feel like I have to fight in order to protect what rights that I have. This is a strange world and it is weighed heavily in favor of those who have lots of money. It seems, whatever they believe, is what the world should believe and I'm just not on board with that.
ReplyDeleteBe good to each other.
ReplyDeleteAnd party on, dude!
The only time I tend to get upset, really upset, is when public officials turn every damned election into something about gay people ruining America. No one wants to talk about anything else all of a sudden. Every. Damn. Time.
Could you imagine a real election cycle that was about issues and such? I can't.
I agree with Rusty, "treat other people the way you want to be treated." I think that's about as straightforward as it gets.
ReplyDelete