The absurd plot (which was pretty much the same as the first two miniseries) is that COBRA has designed this ultimate weapon called the pyramid of darkness that can surround the world (or most of it) and deprive everyone of electricity. If people want the lights back on they have to kowtow to COBRA. But of course GI JOE stops them (eventually) and blows up yet another sprawling COBRA headquarters.
Anyway, what I noticed is that after they complete their mission to set up the pyramid, the evil Destro and the Baroness are caught making out on camera by COBRA Commander. In contrast to this, it takes JOE second-in-command Flint the entire 5 episodes to work up the courage to ask Lady Jay out to dinner. It's pretty much the same for JOE commander Duke and hot redhead Scarlet in other episodes. If you're a kid you probably wouldn't pay any attention to that, but as an adult it struck me as a perhaps subliminal message against premarital coupling. You know, like it was trying to say that making out was only for bad guys. Good guys are supposed to operate at a much slower pace.
Sexual repression seems pretty common among "heroes" in books. Recently I read "The Hunger Games" where Katniss and her male friend Gale have been hunting for years but never really expressed their affection. Peeta the baker has never expressed his affection for Katniss either, until he does so on national TV as perhaps a ploy to make her seem more likable. I'm trudging through "Twilight" now and it seems like it's going to take Bella and Edward a while to finally get things going.
That's a common theme in superhero stories too. Usually it's like in "Spider-Man" where the hero doesn't want to get too involved with the girl because he doesn't want her to get mixed up in the craziness of his life. Other times like in "Captain America" the hero is just too much of a dumb-ass to actually make a move on the girl until it's almost too late. In any case at least on the big screen, you never see the hero and the girlfriend fuck. It's like a kiss is the pinnacle of affection and that often takes the whole fucking movie to happen! (The exception is "Watchmen" where Nite Owl and Silk Spectre do the nasty on Nite Owl's cool little ship to "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen. But that was an R-rated movie so you can do that easier.)
![]() |
| Emma in college. What a babe! |
So anyway, kind of makes me wonder why we writers do that. Are we all a bunch of prudes? A bunch of Santorumites in disguise who want to take things back to "Leave it to Beaver"? Or is it that we're just thinking of the kids and too afraid to "shock" them? But come on, guys, they probably see worse than that on "The Bachelor" or something. So maybe we should have our heroes let their freak flag fly a little more often. Or not. It's a free country, right? (For now.)

I think sex, knowledge of sex, and partaking in sex are all things adults think of as adult activities. Being horny can ruin a marriage, break up a family, venereal disease - heroes are filling an archetype that probably doesn't fit to well with those issues. It would make for an interesting story if Superman rescued Timmy from falling out of a tree and then banged his mom while dad was at work - but it's hard to root for a guy who does that. Heroes are above carnal desires.
ReplyDeleteNot all of them, I just think its the image we all have.
I'm definitely not a prude. Once my character starts having sex, he does so often and it's healthy for him.
ReplyDeleteAll I know is that when I write sex scenes people laugh! Makes me grumpy.
ReplyDeleteInteresting that Rusty went dark on his views of sex.
ReplyDeleteYou make a great point about sex being only for bad guys, in pop culture. I'm jealous I didn't think of it before you did. It's like Douglas Adams said about Newton inventing the catflap -- genius.
Over on Lesbian Zombies, there's lots of sex; that was kind of the point of the story. I don't think any of my other stories have called for sex, with the possible exception of "Santa, Godzilla & Jesus Walk Into A Bar," where Sexy Cop clearly was available for sex. But that was also a family story, as you could have known from the fact that it included a scene where a tree almost eats a little girl. So I'm no prude.
Also: now that I know there's lots of sex in your and Michael's books, I'm moving them up on the list. Although as I recall, there was a sex scene in "Virgin Territory" that ended... spoiler alert?... rather badly. Am I remembering right? So what message are you trying to send THERE? That once good guys do actually give in and have sex, things go all to hell?
It's kind of embarrassing to admit I don't really remember. I haven't read that story in a while. I probably should to reedit it.
DeleteThough isn't it at the end where Gary and Andrea screw and then the next morning or whatever she's all old and wrinkly? That wasn't really because they had sex so much as she remembered who she was--and that she was supposed to be dead. By that point they'd already had sex a bunch of times before.
I don't think it has anything to do with prudishness in most cases. Where the love story is a significant plot point (either the main plot or a major sub-plot), the getting together is put off and put off to create tension. It's about the story telling. People like all of that "will they or won't they" crap, so the author has to drag it out.
ReplyDeleteAfter skimming quickly, I mean, reading thoroughly, your article, I believe that prudishness will end amongst the super heroes and nothing will be left to the imagination. Starting with the affair that Fred Flintstone is having with Betty Rubble. And we all now that Fred is a super hero....
ReplyDelete