Friday, March 9, 2012

Falling From Grace

Last week on Tuesday I posted a mini-review of "Season of the Witch" and lamented about how Nicolas Cage is only doing crappy action movies for the last three years or so.  That night I went home and watched the indie dramedy "The Good Girl" starring Jennifer Aniston, which reminded me that post-Friends she's been doing the same thing only with crappy romantic comedies.

I remembered too an article I read paralleling the careers of Bill Murray and Adam Sandler about the time "Jack and Jill" was released.  The gist of the article is that back in the '80s Murray post-SNL was doing a lot of comedies like "Caddyshack," "Stripes," "Ghostbusters," and so forth.  And then in the late-90s he started doing more dramatic roles starting with Wes Anderson dramedies "Rushmore" and "The Royal Tenenbaums."  Then more-or-less full-fledged dramatic roles in "Lost in Translation" and "Broken Flowers."  And really except for voicing Garfield in those two crappy movies and a cameo in "Zombieland" he hasn't really gone back to the comedy well.  Whereas in his post-SNL career Adam Sandler started with comedies like "Billy Madison," "Happy Gilmore," "The Wedding Singer," and "Big Daddy" before trying some more dramatic roles like "Punch-Drunk Love" and "Reign Over Me" and "Funny People."  The difference though is that Sandler keeps going back to the crappy comedy well with movies like "Click," "Don't Mess With the Zohan," "50 First Dates," "Bedtime Stories", and of course "Jack and Jill" where he probably hit a new low--and that's saying something with "Little Nicky" and "8 Crazy Nights" on his resume.

I think in large part the article was pointing out that if you want to reinvent yourself and have people take you seriously then you need to be more consistent about it.  If you want to be seen as an artist you can't do a piece of crap film just for the easy paycheck.  You've got to be a little more principled about it and turn the crap down.  (Also, don't write shit like "Bucky Larson" and then have some other poor schmucks go act it out for you.)

Of course I shouldn't just pick on Sandler or Nic Cage or Jennifer Aniston.  Lots of stars do it:  Will Smith, Eddie Murphy, Ben Stiller, even Robert deNiro.  They just can't resist doing the easy paycheck movie, despite that most of them probably have enough money by now to live like kings for the rest of their days.  But I think especially in the cases of someone like Sandler or Aniston or Stiller where most of what they do is crappy comedies, when you see them do something more dramatic and it's not terrible, you think, "Why the hell don't you do that more often?"  Because apparently you're not a terrible actor, so why aren't you putting your skills to better use?

Maybe because it's just easier or more lucrative to do the same crap over and over again.  I think I've talked about that with authors too, wishing some would take more chances instead of churning out the same formulas over and over again.  But like yesterday's post I think some of the blame has to go on YOU as well.  YOU who pay to watch the garbage instead of the good stuff.  So there's plenty of blame to go around I guess.

But I also think something the article on Murray vs. Sandler pointed out is when you keep doing the crappy paycheck movies eventually the well is going to run dry and then what do you do?  That's why especially when you're getting older it's good to get people to start taking you seriously so you might be able to get more work.  For women the problem is more superficial.  Most actresses are seen in Hollywood as a nice pair of tits with legs.  So once those tits get saggy and not even plastic surgery can save them, they got nothing to fall back on.  That's why Aniston should probably broaden her resume because she's already what, 43?  The clock's ticking for her.  It won't be long until the only roles she gets are as the mom of some hotter chick.  At least Ben Stiller can fall back on directing movies and Adam Sandler can write more shitty movies for his friends to act out.  And like most of us when we get older, you have to start thinking about your legacy.  Do you really want to be remembered as that guy/girl in all those terrible movies no one will remember 20 years from now?  So maybe Bill Murray didn't want to be remembered as only that guy from SNL who did "Ghostbusters."  Good for him.

On Monday the cover for my novel A Hero's Journey is revealed!  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  (Unless you're Rusty Webb and then just pretend to be surprised...)

12 comments:

  1. Sage advice, I kinda liked Reign over me and Punch Luck Love, and I guess Funny People too. I do think he should do that and quit with the stupid stuff. I never saw Zohan, but I'd my kid says it sucks then it must be really bad. I mean, he hates good movies too, but Zohan was something he was excited to see when it first came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bill Murray. Groundhog Day is one of my favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill Murray is a genius. Amazing actor who makes everything he's in better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of these people do seem to get into a rut. I thought this about Eddie Murphy but he was terrific in Dreamgirls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has another terrible family comedy out this weekend called "A Thousand Words" which I think Briane Pagel should watch after his recent bout with laryngitis.

      Delete
  5. I honestly don't understand how Jennifer Anniston has maintained her A-List status. I did like Horrible Bosses though. And yes...she has enough money to live like a queen til the day she dies. I saw Yahoo News and they estimated that she spent $141,000 on staying beautiful. This is the kind of expense all those Hollywood actors and actresses go through. It's so vain and sickening.

    One actress that I feel has done well in staying relevant is Sandra Bullock. One actor that I wish would reinvigorate his career is Tobey Maguire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How does Nick Cage keep getting work??????!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Michael. I can't for the life of me see what Jennifer Aniston has to offer (maybe because I'm not a guy). I think she better start investing in a perfume named after her so she can star in the commercials. I mean, if she can't write or direct. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know...
    On one level, I agree with you. But I also have to think that it's not wrong to take the paycheck.

    About your Spawn question: no, there was never a lawsuit about that. Spawn is not similar enough to Ghost Rider for that. The characters have to be pretty close for something like that to be viable. The last big case like that was decades ago when DC sued, um, I forget the company, over Captain Marvel (Shazam). DC ended up with ownership of Marvel, but everyone is has pretty much come to the agreement that that was a travesty of justice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with your assessment. Actually, I only recently watched Rushmore and loved it! Your line "Do you really want to be remembered as that guy/girl in all those terrible movies no one will remember 20 years from now?" applies to writers as well. We have to be careful about what we write and the quality of work that goes out. How do we want to be remembered 20 years from now?

    Congrats on your cover. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Then again there are the lowbrow people like me who enjoy movies that don't make me think too hard. I laughed harder at "Just Go With It" with Annisten and Sandler than I have in a while. It's easier to make people cry or get mad than to make them laugh. Comedy is an incredibly difficult art form as well. After all, as you pointed out, look at how many misses there are. Congrats on your cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I'm not sure if Grumpy Bulldog accepts awards but I’m awarding you The Versatile Blogger award anyway. Why? Because I enjoy your writing. You can get it at: http://carmenschronicles.blogspot.com/2012/03/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete