| Ironically I pirated this picture from somewhere... |
In their continuing quest to convince us that eBooks are just a fad, not to mention dangerous and immoral, Writer Beware linked to another article about plagiarism on Amazon, which apparently is just rampant. Also very lucrative!
A lot of people like to blame Amazon, but I don't see where's a lot they can do. What they're supposed to match the text in the book to be uploaded to the text of every book in existence and determine if it's plagiarized? They could probably do more to prevent it, though why would they when they get to wet their beak from the sale of the book, no matter who wrote it?
Still the real people to blame (besides the plagiarists) are you people. That's right, you people who buy shady eBooks without knowing a thing about them or who wrote them just because the price is right. Sure a book isn't like a car or a stereo system. Most eBooks don't even cost as much as a DVD. That doesn't mean you should just buy them in bulk without thinking about it. (Like you jerks who buy MY book on Amazon and then "return" it.)
Put it this way: if you were walking down the road and some scruffy dude in an overcoat said "Psst, hey buddy, over here" and then opened the overcoat to reveal a bunch of "genuine" Rolex watches he's selling for $10, would you buy one? Maybe if you're a sucker. Buying an eBook from someone you've never heard of and spent no time looking up is pretty much the same thing as buying a watch from some shady character on the street.
And you might say, "Well people buy your books without knowing who you are, right?" Sure, but if they bothered to put any effort into it they could see my Amazon author page, Goodreads page, Twitter account, Facebook account. They could do a Google search and probably find old interviews I did for the book. I mean really, I'm all over Cyberspace! I sincerely doubt a book pirate is going to go to all the trouble of setting up all those accounts.
All the eBooks I've bought so far are either ones I know are legitimate or if it's from an "indie" author it's someone I've communicated with on Blogger or Twitter or Facebook. It's not just some random dude on the corner with an oversized overcoat.
The best way to end piracy of books is just like all those illegal DVDs: just don't buy them! Obviously if people stop buying them then the piracy would come to a halt. So really, put a little bit of effort into your book purchases, you lazy cheap bastards. Until then it's Buyer Beware.
I agree with your ideas about piracy. Unfortunately, some self-publishers are so needy, they take a similar route and don't know/care how they are adding to the system of rip-offs.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
I guess I live in a dream world and haven't paid much attention to this problem. I'm a new e-book reader. Thanks for pointing this out.
ReplyDeletePiracy is going to happen. But you bring up some good points in that consumers should learn to support and appreciate an artist's work. Unfortunately, our world really is becoming more of a place where people expect things to happen for free. I don't know where the entitlement comes from, but it is there and we just need to deal with it.
ReplyDeleteA bit tough to get to 212 people in one day, so I'm sorry for the late Origins blogfest visit. I definitely agree with your views. I'm loathe to buy anything even remotely shady for my amazon kindle.
ReplyDeleteyour newest follower,
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Whoa... this is something I've never thought about. Which now that I think about it, is silly. Of course piracy is there in the ebook market... I love ebooks. Buy them all the time--but yeah, only from people I "know" and have heard about. Glad I read this. Thanks, Grumpy.
ReplyDeleteI've heard a few horror stories. If you are an indie author you just have to be aware of your titles and make sure you report any duplicate editions of your work to Amazon. I know they are aware of the problem.
ReplyDeleteYou're right on! I know that one indie author contacted some pirate ebook pirate website directly.
ReplyDeleteSo many authors are making some of their introductory titles for FREE, so maybe that'll help satisfy readers' desires for free stuff. But as long as demand remains, ebooks will continue to be pirated.
I know this isn't the point, but it's kind of good people want to read so much that they'll buy cheap, pirated DVDs. It's annoying though. Also not the point - why are so many eBoooks so expensive on Amazon lately? Ten dollars or more for an electronic copy is crazy.
ReplyDeletePreaching to the choir on that last point. I had an entry about that a while back. I mean some eBooks now are $15! Many cost more in Kindle edition than the paperback! Can you really tell me that bytes are more expensive than paper and glue? Some apologists say you have to pay for marketing and stuff and I'm quick to say well it's not costing any extra to market an eBook as well as the other editions. If we're spreading those costs over all platforms, then why aren't hardcovers and paperbacks cheaper? They have no answer for that. Really my prevailing theory is eBooks are expensive because people are paying it. When people stop paying $15 for the new Stephen King on Kindle then they'll lower the price to something reasonable.
DeleteWhich really high Kindle prices only encourage piracy, just as high CD album prices made people more than willing to download songs free off Napster and other platforms.
I totally agree. An eBook should not cost as much as paper. Makes me want to scream and if it's by a popular author, I go to the library. Sorry, I'll buy your book for a reasonable price.
DeleteWhat really gets my panties in a twist is when the eBook is MORE expensive than the paperback. WTF?
I'm suspicious about those "returns" too. Who knows if they can copy it over to their computer, before returning it??
ReplyDeleteI don't have a good answer about piracy other than what Michael said. It's something we just have to deal with. For some reason, people expect their entertainment for free.
ReplyDeleteBut, yes, if consumers didn't support piracy, it wouldn't happen.
You certainly make some good points. It annoys me when the ebook costs more too. I always assumed that was a publisher trying to sell the hard copy form.
ReplyDeleteI don't buy anything that's pirated. I've always enjoyed the officalness (my own made up word, yes) of buying the ACTUAL product. Books are no different. I can't get into e-books, I want to hold a book in my hand.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, Mr. Grumpy, I tagged in my blog for some questions. If you have some time, check it out. I look forward to what you may say. :)
Forgot the link. :P
Deletehttp://jacobgadams88.blogspot.com/2012/02/ive-been-tagged.html
"Like you jerks who buy MY book on Amazon and then 'return' it." ROFL
ReplyDelete