A little democracy music!
Still, Grumpy Bulldog is going to throw his support behind President Obama this election year. Why? I'll make it simple: I've voted Democrat since 1996 when I could first vote in a presidential election. The one time I strayed from that was in 2000 and look how that turned out. (I'm just grateful that thanks to the electoral college my vote meant nothing in the scheme of things since Michigan went to Gore. The rest of my family's votes also meant nothing, as they usually don't mean anything. Losers.)
| Grumpy Bulldog's Pick for POTUS |
If you want to break it down more in-depth, here are few reasons why:
- 0 Major Terrorist Attacks on US Soil (so far)
- 1 Dead Major Terrorist Leader
- 2 Wars Ending
- 0 New Wars Started (so far)
- 1 Stupid Military Policy (Don't Ask, Don't Tell) Repealed
Also, democracy has been flourishing in the Middle East, taking down old dictators like Qadaffi and Mubarak (I'm probably not spelling those right.) without the US being tied down there for 10 years and hundreds of billions of dollars.
So in terms of foreign policy there's lots to cheer about. Domestic stuff hasn't been as good. A lot of that is Congress's fault. Especially since 2011 when the Republicans gained more power we've seen nothing productive done at all. Instead of trying to help people get jobs the stupid Republicans keep flogging the dead horse of "trickle-down" economics by giving more tax breaks to millionaires while simultaneously wanting to cut Social Security, Medicare, and unemployment benefits for the poor and disabled.
But even when they didn't have a majority Republicans still did everything they could to thwart any piece of legislation. The biggest mistake the Democrats made was pretending they gave a shit about what Republicans wanted. Why'd they waste time trying to negotiate on the health care law when Republicans were just going to say no anyway? As much as I hate Republicans, at least when they controlled Congress and the White House they knew how to get things done. Stupid, evil things but they got them done.
Anyway, domestically there's a lot of work Obama needs to do. First is getting a backbone when dealing with these asshole Republicans. The problem with that manufactured debt ceiling "crisis" was that the Democrats gave too much ground. That only emboldened the Republicans, especially those Tea Party morons. My hope though is that if he's reelected Obama will have more of a backbone because he won't need to worry about reelection again. As a "lame duck" he won't have to worry so much about his approval rating, like George W didn't worry about his either. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.
As for Mitt Romney (who I still presume will get the nomination--you heard it here first back in November or so!) I wouldn't give a crap if people say he's more moderate than a Gingrich or Santorum. A Republican is a Republican. Electing Romney (especially if the situation in Congress still favors the GOP) means the Republicans are going to try to push through more shit legislation to cut social programs while giving rich corporations tax breaks and force their religion on all of us by restricting abortion, dialing back gay rights, forcing schools to teach Creationism as "science" and so forth.
Why would I think that? Because it's already happening on the local and state levels! In the Midwest, as soon as the old Democrat guard was thrown out in favor of the Republicans, the first thing they did was attack public-service unions for state workers and so forth. The people who came into power saying they'd create more jobs almost right away began cutting jobs in the public sector or else forcing those employees to take huge concessions. Meanwhile they did huge favors for their corporate buddies. I'm sure Pagel can go on and on about Scott Walker's various misdeeds. (And he does in his political blog.) Rick Snyder hasn't done as much of that yet in Michigan only because he hasn't been on the job as long. Though one of his first genius ideas was that any city he decides is failing he'll just send in an "emergency manager" into. An emergency manager answerable only to him with the power to pretty much do whatever he wants. Or in other words, a dictator. (Seriously the term "dictator" comes from ancient Rome where in times of crisis they would hand power over to a guy for six months or so to right the ship. And as they mention in "The Dark Knight" the last guy they handed power over to was Julius Caesar. Look how that turned out!)
Anyway, the only thing Romney has going for him is that he's a businessman and he'll run America like a business or some bullshit like that. At least that's the kind of shitty stuff Snyder ran on. The problem is that America is not a corporation. The goal of the government of the United States of America is not to make profit. The goal of the government of the United States of America is to protect the rights of its citizens to pursue life, liberty, and all that stuff. The two aren't mutually exclusive but often in conflict with each other. Because as we've seen with companies like Nike, Apple, etc isn't doesn't really behoove corporations to give a shit about their employees.
Which is why I'd make this simple argument to my siblings: If you think you can take care of all of Mom's bills and medical expenses on your own, then go vote for Romney and the GOP. Because with the Tea Party lunatics running the show what's going to happen is Social Security, Medicare, all that is going to be cut back if not eliminated to pay for corporate tax cuts and wars against Iran, Syria, North Korea, or whoever else.
Anyway, there's really nothing that will ever get me to make the mistake of voting Republican again. I got burned on that before and I ain't getting burned again.
| My Mom made me some pot holders for XMas and used the extra for a throw pillow case. My sisters bought the ornament from Bronner's in Frankenmuth a couple years ago. |
(BTW, I think I need my own radio show like Rush Limbaugh. I'm a big fat guy and I can rant forever making arguments that probably distort the truth quite a bit.)
This is about all I want to say about the election. In 2008 I got sucked into arguing with these two dopes on a message board for pretty much the entire year and it was just freaking awful. The irony was that one dope was a former draft dodger in Canada and the other was supposedly in England, so neither had any stake in the election and yet they couldn't shut up about it. So really I just wanted to get on my soap box this one time. Which incidentally I think the problem for Obama is that a lot of people who supported him in 2008 (young people) aren't going to turn out in the same numbers this time around because they aren't going to be energized about this campaign as in 2008 when people wanted to be a part of history and to get the shitty taste of George W out of their mouths. Or just people like me who are still so tired of the bullshit from the last election they don't have the stomach to do it again.
I'm Grumpy Bulldog and I approved this diatribe...
What bothers me about your post is that you refuse to pick sides. If your going to get political then pick a pony and ride it.
ReplyDeleteJust kidding. Republicans do seen to really be more interested in my private life than I, or anyone, should be happy about. Don't know how they sell that ideology as a good idea to so many people.
I know what you're saying about Obama, and foreign policy is an important part of a President's job, but I can't help but be frustrated with "electing the lesser of two evils."
ReplyDeleteSome compromise is necessary -- had Obama brought some Republicans aboard Obamacare they'd have defended it rather than attacking it: "only Nixon can go to China," as they say. I was of the mind that you are: screw them, we've got a majority, but when the shoe hit the other foot here in Wisconsin, I saw how bad that gets.
But Obama has compromised basic ideals -- like signing that awful "rendition of citizens" bill but promising HE won't abuse it, and claiming to be against campaign cash but using it. (I'm in favor of MORE money in politics, but that's me. If you're against money in politics, you're against it. You can't say "I'm against extramarital affairs, but as long as my wife is cheating on me, I'd better go find me a hooker.")
He's repeatedly dropped the ball on defending Obamacare and on how to actually help the housing market, which is what's dragging the economy -- his administration has routinely sided with the big banks and not even bothered taking on Republicans.
The debt ceiling crisis was overblown: we were downgraded and everybody just shrugged because WHERE ELSE ARE YOU GONNA PARK YOUR RESERVE CURRENCY, WORLD, China? I don't think so. Obama should have made the case and let it stand. Clinton shut down the government and Newt Gingrich was banished.
That's my big problem: Obama takes his base, and his principles, for granted, and when politicians do that, we lose -- because if you vote for Mitt (or, God forbid, Santorum) you're getting a Republican, but if you vote for Obama, you're getting a Democrat who won't stand up to the Republicans. That's slim protections. You can say "Sure, he'll veto bad ideas," but tell me whether that still rings true when you're renditioned off to Gitmo and the banks get to repatriate money for evicting you.
Mitt may not be the worst option -- I'm still considering -- because he's running right but he seemed moderate as a governor. I'd question whether he could stand up to the Tea Party.
But voting against people -- voting Republican as a protest against Obama, provided the Republican isn't terrible, or voting third party -- teaches parties that they have to pay attention to what they promise, which is why I swore I wouldn't vote for Obama again and I won't.
I understand your position, but I couldn't live with myself if I helped vote in another Bush. If things stay the way they are in Congress right now and they pass a bill outlawing abortion or getting rid of "Obamacare" or forcing schools to teach Creationism as science, do you think President Romney would go against his own party to veto it? I doubt it.
DeleteSo we should call you Rush from now on? ;)
ReplyDeleteOr Anti-Rush might be more appropriate.
DeleteWell said.
ReplyDelete:)
I like Samuel L. Jackson's reasons for voting for Obama:
ReplyDelete"I voted for Barack because he was black. Cause that’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them,"
He contended that Obama's message wasn't important, since he believes most politicians will say anything to get elected.
"That’s American politics, pure and simple. [Obama’s] message didn’t mean [anything] to me. In the end, he’s a politician. I just hoped he would do some of what he said he was gonna do. I know politicians ... lie cause they want to get elected," he continued,
'When it comes down to it, they wouldn’t have elected a n*****,' he said. 'Because what’s a n*****? A n***** is scary.
'Obama ain’t scary at all. N****** don’t have beers at the White House. N****** don’t let some white dude, while you in the middle of a speech, call [him] a liar. A n***** would have stopped the meeting right there and said, "Who the **** said that?"
'I hope Obama gets scary in the next four years,' Mr Jackson added, 'cuz he ain’t gotta worry about getting re-elected.'
“While we were on the subject,” the magazine continued, “we asked Jackson if he agreed with fellow thespian Morgan Freeman” that the Tea Party is racist.
Jackson replied:
It’s pretty obvious what they are.
"The division of the country is not about the government having too much power. I think everything right now is geared toward getting that guy out of office, whatever that means," he said, echoing Freeman. "It’s not politics. It is not economics. It all boils down to pretty much to race. It is a shame.
Go Go Samuel L.!
The race thing has to be a part of it. I mean you look at the Republican side and the minorities (Cain and Bachman) were the first two to drop out. Kind of funny they can't seem to decide which middle-aged white guy should represent them just because one's a Mormon, one's a Catholic, and one's an adulterer. Poor sad little Evangelicals.
DeleteAnyway, another component I think is that some people did have this expectation that Obama would come in and wave a magic wand and fix everything. Like he'd just snap his fingers and good jobs would be raining down and the wars would be over and all that stuff. Then reality set in. Of course it didn't help when Fox "News" and the like were already calling the first recovery bill a failure two days after it was signed.
I'm not American so thankfully I won't have to make that decision. However, I do watch the Daily SHow so I kinda get what a gong show the election has been so far.
ReplyDeleteA gong show is a good way of putting it. I can't even begin to comprehend how this Republican campaign is working. One moment Gingrich is rising then he drops off and Santorum rises. Then Romney peels off a few wins. Then Gingrich is back. Then Santorum is back. About the only certainty seems to be Ron Paul will not win anything.
DeleteBut it's got to be nice for Obama after that showdown into June with Hillary Clinton back in 2008 to be able to just kick back and watch from sidelines.