Here's the description:
February 6th - Monday: Characters on the couch: Have one of your characters answer the following questions (to make this work to your benefit, choose a character who is the hardest for you to write :) Max 250 words (Not including the questions—only the answers).
- What is your biggest vulnerability? Do others know this or is it a secret?
- What do people believe about you that is false?
- What would your best friend say is your fatal flaw? Why?
- What would the same friend say is your one redeeming quality? Why?
- What do you want most? What will you do to get it?
What I don’t like about this first exercise is that there’s no context to frame this in. Who’s asking these questions? And why? Because these don’t seem like questions you would ask anyone in casual conversation. They don’t even seem like questions I’d ask in an interview.
So I guess I’ll add my own context. Some of the most fun scenes to write in my novel “Second Chance” (eventually to be available for sale on Kindle!) are when the main character Stacey Chance has sessions with her therapist Dr. Macintosh. And since this is called “Character on the Couch” why not use that for my context?
I’ll just have to pretend we’ve fast-forwarded through all the preliminaries since 250 words total doesn’t give me time for that. The background is that Stacey is a 19-year-old woman who used to be a 50-year-old police detective until he was accidentally injected with an experimental drug and became a she. He had a daughter named Madison, whom Stacey runs into on the street and winds up befriending, not telling Madison who she really is. And if you must know, here are Sims I generated of Stacey and Dr. Mac:
![]() |
| That's obviously Stacey. |
![]() |
| That's her therapist, Dr. Macintosh. What a hunk! |
So now here we go in rough script format:
Setting: Dr. Macintosh’s office. STACEY CHANCE sits in an armchair, facing DR. MACINTOSH, who has a notepad in his lap to take notes on what she says.
DR. MAC: After the divorce, why didn’t you try to contact Madison? Why didn’t you at least send her a birthday card?
STACEY: I was scared.
DR. MAC: Of what?
STACEY: That she would hate me.
DR. MAC: Why would she hate you?
STACEY: Because I wasn’t there for her. I never went to her soccer games or school plays or any of that.
DR. MAC: Is that why you haven’t told her yet you’re her father?
STACEY: Well, it’s one reason.
DR. MAC: What are the other reasons?
STACEY: Gee, maybe that the last time she saw me I was a middle-aged man?
DR. MAC: You don’t think she would believe you?
STACEY: Why should she? It’s a pretty crazy story. I don’t believe it myself most of the time.
DR. MAC: Is that the only other reason?
STACEY: Well, I guess it’s also that she likes me a lot better this way.
DR. MAC: Why do you think that is?
STACEY: Besides that I haven’t abandoned her for the last ten years?
DR. MAC: Yes.
STACEY: I don’t know. I guess I’m nicer this way. Sweet is what Tess says.
DR. MAC: Do you think Mrs. Madigan is right?
STACEY: I guess so.
DR. MAC: How long do you think you can keep this secret from Madison?
STACEY: Forever, if I have to. At least until I die again.
DR. MAC: So you would rather be her friend than her father?
STACEY: If that means I can stay close to her, then yes.
DR. MAC: Well, I think we’ve made a lot of progress today. See you next week.
[END SCENE]
There, I think I got most of the information in. And if you don’t count the speaker indicators it’s under 250 words. Score!


Great idea. I love character building exercises. We done one a little while back. We had to imagine what would happen if you and your character actually met. What would your character's reaction be. Would they be happy to meet their maker or angry to discover that their life is nothing but fiction (you get my drift...). It was good fun.
ReplyDeleteAm I going crazy? Wasn't the character called Stephanie? Or did I imagine that?
ReplyDeleteYou are not going crazy. There's an explanation on my Valentine's Day entry. Nice to know someone was paying attention!
DeleteYou know, I recall seeing an interview with a guy who became a woman once. He had been straight but unhappy and post change found the way he thought and behaved changed pretty radically. It's entirely possible that a poor father could be a better person for his daughter that way.
ReplyDeleteSo, I agree with her.
Crap. Everyone's entries are all literary, and quality, and whatnot. I'm gonna lose this one. Should've just blown through the rules and done another Stupid Pineapple segment.
ReplyDeleteI think I'm more interested in your other book about the Scarlet Knight, but I'll most likely read this one too.
ReplyDelete"At least until I die again." Eeep!
ReplyDeleteDude this sounds great. And double points for getting 250 on the dot, lol.
ReplyDeletelol, I love your twist on the interview. I can see why your blog is called grumpy :) lol. Your MC's sound rather fascinating :) I'm a new follower
ReplyDeleteI love how creatively you approached this. It was the perfect context. And Stacey sounds fascinating. Great job!
ReplyDeleteLove it! And great pics too! Dr. Mac is a total hunk :)
ReplyDeleteI love this idea! I can understand the logic of staying friends with Madison and not telling her. I can also imagine the conversations that may come up between the two. :)
ReplyDeleteOh wow, you did great covering the spirit of the questions. I am looking forward to next time.
ReplyDeleteBTW; the pic of Stacy needs a 5 o'clock shadow :)
.....dhole
What an interesting premise for a story - and a great interview!
ReplyDeleteCouldn't resist your pleas - I just had to follow you!