Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Talk Soup

As part of my half-assed effort to get more followers, I joined this Insecure Writer's Group thingy that posts the first Wednesday of the month.  So here's one of my many insecurities.

Here's another thing I Tweeted about and then decided to make a blog entry about.  Only this time no one asked me too.  Make it so anyway...

If there's one thing I love blogging about, it's my own stories:

Which is very true.  For all the other blogging I do, I could go on for really a whole 'nother novel's worth about the novels I write.  From the major plot points on down to the inspiration to character names.  Or fun facts like, did you know I wrote cameos for myself into some of the "Tales of the Scarlet Knight" stories?  Of course I don't use my name and I don't get any dialog.  I'm just the fat guy in the baseball cap who is cowardly hiding by the salty snacks in a convenience store during a robbery.  In a later story I appear at the museum gift shop to buy stuff.  Take that, Hitchcock!

I could go on slightly less long--though I have gone on plenty on this blog and the old one--about my whole writing process.  That would probably include what I order at Starbucks and Panera Bread when I'm writing.  (Answer:  venti unsweetened shaken green tea at Starbucks and usually regular iced tea or Diet Pepsi at Panera Bread, sometimes with a cookie.)

To me (and no one else) that's a lot more interesting than personal stuff.  You know the "boxers or briefs" kind of stuff that doesn't really matter.  (Answer:  briefs.)  Or if you ever watched "Finding Forrester" those are the kind of questions that aren't "soup questions" according to Sean Connery.  Because according to him there are two kinds of questions: those we ask out of politeness/making conversation/general nosiness and those we ask because we legitimately care.  So when the young writer asks why the soup tastes different that's a legitimate question because he wants to know what the hell he's eating.

So when I did interviews for previous stories (only a very few) to me questions about the book are soup questions.  Questions about me are not.  I get that people are curious about the author, mostly because they want to know how much of the author is in the book.  (As I said earlier, I have a real part in the book!)  But really that I wear briefs in no way matters to the book or its characters, especially since a lot of the characters are female.


So in short, that's why interviews make me grumpy.  It's like with job interviews where you have to give all these bullshit answers.  Even dumber in job interviews is the interviewer should know they're bullshit answers, so why even bother asking?  Oh, right, the Supreme Court says we can't just hire someone based on a head shot or because he/she went to the same fraternity/sorority, so we have to make it look like we're trying really hard to find someone qualified and not just someone attractive or a crony.  No soup questions for you!

Like job interviews, though, I suppose there's no way around it, except to go hide in a cave or something.  But then how are you supposed to sell books from a cave?  Life's a bitch that way.

20 comments:

  1. The last time I interviewed for a promotion, the interviewer asked me what's my favorite movie like that was the thing that mattered most, that says everything about you. I answered, "Empire Strikes Back" and didn't get the job. Apparently that was the wrong answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always warn interviews ahead of time they won't get anything really personal out of me. I like my private life to remain private and I'm sure my wife appreciates that. But then, it feels very awkward for me to describe my writing process or talk in depth about my books. Bragging is not my strong suit. So the questions about favorite movies and music are cool. Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you mentioned job interviews and 90% of all comments on a post take some minor aspect of it and talk about that, I thought I'd do 10,000 words on Sean Connery's lesser-known works.

    But not today.

    I actually find the writing process rather boring to write about, because my process is: "I just write."

    I did a little bit of an author's note in the print version of "Santa, Godzilla & Jesus Walk Into A Bar..." because one commenter wanted to know if I made the thing up as I went along, so I explained how I actually did just that, and where I got the Xmas Machine from, but I was even bored writing it, which is why it never appeared on my blog.

    I don't mind finding out where authors get their ideas -- my current story came from Rusty's comment on your blog-- and I don't mind questions like the ones Offutt asked about directors who could make my book into a movie, etc. But questions about the writing process I often find kind of boring.

    I'd be more interested to know how we can pick you out in your books. I haven't gotten to "Where You Belong" yet. Are you in that? Are you in Virgin Territory? I bet you're the drunken writer in Virgin Territory.

    As for job interviews: At our last job interview, I asked our new lawyer what he thought of the BCS. He was against it. I still hired him. We now simply have breakfast or lunch with prospective hirees, and I don't ask them any BS questions except for "What would you say your biggest weakness is?" because I want to see if they know to do that thing where you take a strength and pretend it's a weakness:

    Interviewer: "What would you say your biggest weakness is?"

    Me: "I'd have to say it's that I often take on far too much. See, I'm such a hard worker that I frequently find myself doing the work of 2 or 3 or even 14 people for the pay you would give to one, and that one would be someone who undervalues himself and asked for less than market rates. So what ends up happening is that you get far more value from me than you give me. It's a real weakness of mine."

    I'm waiting for someone to actually identify a real weakness. "ME? My real weakness is how lame my fake illnesses are when I call in sick, which is like 2 times per week. Last job I had, the best I could do was Turf Toe, and I was halfway through a fake coughing fit before I remembered what I'd claimed I had."

    I will hire that person on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In "Where You Belong" I think I most closely resemble Frost's college roommate Peter Pratchett, except the (SPOILER!) part about contracting AIDS--as far as I know.

      The drunken writer in "Virgin Territory" I thought of as a cross between John Irving and Ernest Hemingway (or you could say Charles Bukowski but I hadn't read anything by him at that point). Though personally I think it would be awesome to be that guy. I should go suggest to my publisher that I get really hammered before any interviews. Then think how fun they'll be!

      The "weakness" question has to be the #1 BS question they ask you. I mean they know you're not answering that truthfully. "My problem is I'm such a perfectionist." Yeah, right. My problem is I'm incredibly lazy and would rather sit around writing than pretending to care about filling in your spreadsheets. But as you're suggesting I think they ask you that just to see how good you are at lying.

      Delete
  4. This is my biggest pet peeves about interviewers after sporting events - "How did you feel when you thought you were going to lose the game?" Seriously? I'm open about lots of things - even about me - but there are some where people are just going to have to get used to disappointment.

    Nice to meet you. New follower. Goal met?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh. George Lucas also puts himself into his movies sometimes. We as writers are weird creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon Favreau put himself into both "Iron Man" movies, which was fine in the first one but got kind of annoying in the second one when he insisted on giving himself more screen time with Scarlett Johannson. (Not that I can blame him.)

      Delete
  6. Is it possible to write something without putting yourself into it? I don't think so. Even when you're trying to write like someone else it's still you that you're revealing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I share too much personal stuff - but that's just me. As for the characters, there's always part of me in them. Sometimes it's who I'd like to be or where I'd like to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suppose people are always looking for the "hidden meaning" in things, even if there isn't anything "hidden" to be "found."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey BD, I'm a new follower via Alex Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group. Yes, it's a great way to attain new followers, as long as you visit, comment, and return the favor. It works very well. Welcome to the group. I try to meet a few new participants each month.

    As for the interview, I haven't ever been the subject of one myself, with the exception of the dreaded job interview, though even that is nearly 20 years in the past.

    I suppose if I ever were to be interviewed, I'd rather answer questions about the work and not myself, unless other writers wanted to know about how difficult my personal journey has been so that they might have a good laugh...er I mean, commiserate. Nobody really wants to know all that personal crap anyway. They want hope. They want to believe they can do it, too, that they can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. heh
    My biggest weakness is that I'm smarter than you (not you you but the interviewer). I know, and you will know it, and you will be intimidated by it and, thus, not listen to me forcing you to constantly tell me, "You were right; I should have listened to you." The problem here is that you are so lacking in intelligence that you will never learn from your mistake and we will go through this process over and over again until I quit answering your stupid questions thus causing an ever greater rift.

    Well, I could go on, but, really, why bother. Some would say that this weakness is arrogance, but, really, is it arrogance if it's the truth?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The good news (in your case) is that interviews don't really sell that many books, so don't think you have to do them. At first, they were fun, but after awhile they tend to take up a lot of time. Those doing a blog tours will find out. So I came up with a solution. The FAQ section of my website, which I can tweet every now and then. I also call it an instant interview, and I don't have to keep re-writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. Half-assing it and still getting new followers. I love talking about my story worlds too. I can really go on and on about them. Of course, nobody on earth cares except for me. So I suppose if someone were to ask ma all these intricate details about my fictional universes then I'd probably think that meant they really liked my stuff - which would be very moving I'd think,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there,
    Gosh and lucky you, you are being graced with a comment by shy, humble and unassuming me. I might say that The Insecure Writers Group is just a cynical ploy by those who set it up to bring attention to themselves. Heck, I might even hint that such thingys as The 'A to Z Blogging Challenge!, complete with the exclamation mark for dramatic impact!, is just another way of drawing attention to those who created that.
    Of course, I would be wrong. I know that it's just bloggers sharing and caring and interacting in an all different, all equal diverse world of blogland.
    And in this brutal economy, I've had my son get screwed around in more interviews than he'd care to remember. Something about his face doesn't fit and he aint related to Joe Blow.
    I might also mention that the number of 'followers' on a blog. I hate that word 'followers', has nothing to do with the popularity of a blog. A lot do the old 'follow me, follow you' thinga ma jiggy. Yep, they link in, might even leave a token comment and never return.
    And now, my grumpy type friend, just when you thought your day couldn't get any better, or is that grumpier? You will be thrilled beyond any appropriate adjective to discover that I have started to 'follow' your blog.
    In grumpiness and stuff, Gary...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with everything you said.

      Delete
    2. i agree w commenter above... writes are damn eccentric!

      Delete
  14. Your post left me giggling this morning! I love the honesty of the comments above.

    ReplyDelete